- Cover design
- Book formatting
- Gold Country Writer George Beckman offers many resources for writer. Here are four articles on self publishing, as well as a link to his entire blog of many interesting articles for writers (including these self publishing articles.)
- Kindle Direct Publishing- includes Templates with sample content shown.
- KDP Login: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/
- Draft2Digital Login: https://www.draft2digital.com/login/
- Geroge Beckman encourages anyone using D2D to read his blog articles on D2D, Kindle Select and Kindle Unlimited. It is complicated, but George explains how it works.
- Bowker ISBN – purchase 10 for $295. https://www.bowker.com/en/products-services/isbn-us/
- Self-publishing by Jody Brady
Places to Publish Short Stories, Poetry, Essays, Non-fiction
- Literary Magazines
- California Quarterly (https://californiastatepoetrysociety.org/). The California State Poetry Society has published The California Quarterly four times a year since 1972. The magazine accepts only unpublished poetry and foreign language poems with an English translation.
- California Writers Club, Northern California (http://cwcnorcalwriters.org/). CWC is a statewide writer’s organization with 14 chapters in Northern California. Several publish anthologies of members’ writing: Napa Valley Writers, Redwood Writers, San Francisco Peninsula, Tri-Valley Writers, and Writers of the Mendocino Coast. You must be a member to submit.
- Carve Magazine (http://www.carvezine.com/) Address: c/o Mild Horse Press PO Box 72231 Davis, CA 95617. Carve was founded in 2000 to publish short stories online and has hosted the annual Raymond Carver Short Story Contest since 2001. Print and digital quarterly issues began in 2012 and feature fiction poetry, nonfiction, interviews, illustrations, and more.
- Haight Ashbury Literary Journal (https://haightashburyliteraryjournal) Address: 558 Joost Avenue San Francisco, CA 94127. Publishes multi-cultural, socially conscious and self-expressive poetry and fiction in a 16-page tabloid format. It includes work on homelessness, prison, and many women writers.
- McSweeney’s Quarterly Concern (https://www.mcsweeneys.net/) Address: PO Box 410987, San Francisco, CA 94141. Publishes fiction, non-fiction and poetry every three months. Check to see when submissions are open.
- Rattle (www.ratttle.com). Address: 12411 Ventura Blvd., Studio City, CA. Publishing since 1994, this quarterly magazine publishes established poets, as well as new and emerging voices. It features an annual poetry contest.
- Reed Magazine (http://www.sjsu.edu/depts/english/reed.htm) Address: SJSU English Department San Jose, CA 95192-0090. California’s oldest literary journal, starting in 1867, Reed publishes fiction, poetry and non-fiction and holds several writing competitions, including one for emerging writers.
- Transfer Magazine (http://www.transfermag.edu/) Address: CW Dept., SFSU 1600 Holloway Avenue San Francisco, CA 94132. A student-run publication that only includes work from students currently enrolled at SFSU.
- Two Lines Publishes online original translations of fiction, non-fiction and poetry into English. Address: Center for the Art of Translation, 582 Market St., Suite 700, San Francisco, CA 94104
- West Trestle Review Open to poetry, fiction, and art by creators around the globe. In Auburn, CA
- Zoetrope: All-Story. (https://all-story.com/). Address: 916 Kearny Street San Francisco, CA 94133. Founded by Francis Ford Coppola in 1997,Zoetrope: All-Story is a quarterly print magazine of short fiction, one-act plays, and essays on film. Among the most celebrated literary periodicals in the world, it has won every major story award, including four National Magazine Awards for Fiction, along with a number of design commendations.
- ZYZZYVA (http://www.zyzzyva.org/) Address: PO Box 590069 San Francisco, CA 94159-0069. Serves West coast writers, artists and readers nationwide with a triquetrals journal, with a reading series, a writer’s workshop, and with publication of first books of poetry and fiction.
- Genre Magazines
- Memoir (and) (http://www.memoirjournal.com/) Address: PO Box 1398, Sausalito, CA 94966-1398 Memoir (and) is a nonprofit literary journal dedicated to memoir in all forms, from the traditional to the experimental. The editors strive with each issue to include a selection of prose, poetry, narrative photography and graphic memoirs that push traditional boundaries of form and content in their exploration of the representation of self.
- Memoir Magazine online only at (www.memoirmag,com) supporting writers and artists in sharing their stories.
- Sinister Wisdom (http://www.sinisterwisdom.org/) Address: PO Box 3252. Berkeley, CA 94703. A quarterly journal of lesbian writing and art that seeks to open, consider and advance the exploration of lesbian community issues.
- The Caterpillar
Cricket Media’s Literary Journals (Baby bug, Ladybug, Spider, Cicada)
- Cricket Media’s Non-Fiction Magazines (Click, Ask, Muse, cobblestone, Dig, Faces)
- Guardian Angel Kids
- National Geographic for Kids
- Ranger Rick
- The Caterpillar
- Historical Fiction
- Alt History: Historical Fiction and Alternate History
- The Copperfield Review
- Flashback Fiction
- Historical Times
- Timeworn Literary Journal
- Alfred Hitchcock’s Mystery Magazine
- Dime Mystery Magazine
- Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine
- Mystery Magazine
- Mystery Scene
- Science Fiction/Fantasy
- Analog Science Fiction and Fact
- Asimov’s Science Fiction
- The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction
- BALLOONS Literary Journal
- Girls Life
- One Teen Story
Publications Outside California
- Poets & Writers (pw.org) and newsstands
- Writers Digest writersdigest.com and newsstands
- The Writer writermag.com and newsstands
Northern California Publishers
Apogee Press (http://www.apogeepress.com/) Address:2308 Sixth St., Berkeley 94701. Publishes books of innovative and experimental poetry.
Heyday Books (https://www.heydaybooks.com/). An independent, nonprofit publisher founded in 1974 in Berkeley, Heyday promotes civic engagement and social justice, celebrates nature’s beauty, supports California Indian cultural renewal, and explores the state’s rich history, culture, and influence. Heyday publishes around twenty books a year, and has taken a lead role in dozens of prominent public education programs throughout the state.Bottom of Form
Kelsey Street Press (https://www.kelseystreetpress.org/) Address: 50 Northgate Ave Be Address: 50 Northgate Ave Berkeley, CA 94705. Publishes books by and about women, trans and genderqueer experiences.
Manic D Press Established: 1984 http://www.manicdpress.com/ (http://www.manicdpress.com/) Type of Publisher: Literary Press Address: PO Box 410804 San Francisco, CA 9414. Book publisher. Emphasis on those who have been shunned by the traditional publishing establishment.
McSweeney’s (https://www.mcsweeneys.net/) Address: PO Box 410987 San Francisco, CA 94141. A nonprofit publishing company based in San Francisco. As well as operating a daily humor website, it publishes Timothy McSweeney’s Quarterly Concern, Illustoria Magazine, and an ever-growing selection of booksunder various imprints.
Omni dawn Publishing (https://www.omnidawn.com/) Address: 1632 Elm Ave. Richmond, CA 94085-1614. Small press book publisher explores internal and external boundaries to open readers to the myriad ways that language may bring new light, insight, awareness, as well as a heightened respect for and appreciation of differences.
The Publishing Circle (https://thepublishingcircle.com/). A hybrid publisher in Nevada City that publishes fiction from various genres, including children’s and romance stories, as well as non-fiction.
- Northern California Publishers and Authors (NCPA Awards)
- Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA Ben Franklin Award)
- Independent Publishers Book Awards (IPPY Award)
- Cat Writers Association
Websites (Click heading to visit website)
- Jane Friedman
- Jane Friendman is a well-respected writer and teacher on all things writing. Her website is filled with resources. She also writes a blog that is equally useful. There is a link to the blog on her home page.
- Jane produces a free newsletter called “Electric Speed.” You can subscribe to the newsletter here.
- Joan Borysenko
- Joan Borysenko is an inspiring visual artist, writer, and teacher. Her website is entitled “Integrating Science and Spirituality for Your Best Health.”
- This website has up-to-date listings of publishers and literary agents. Also, extensive interviews.
- WOW! Women on Writing
- Online magazine for women writers
- Contests and classes
- Newsletter published every other week
- Orientation is entire U.S.A.